Saturday, February 12, 2011

Raw Apple Cake with Caramel glaze.

My Nanaw, aka Grandmother, gave me this recipe. She is so delighted when I tell her I bake one of her recipes, and it is so fun to see her little face light up. I promised you the recipe, and here it is.

Raw Apple Cake

2 eggs
3 cups apples diced/3 medium sized apples (of your choice)
2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (I chose pecans)
1 1/4 cups  vegetable oil
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix all together, and place in an 11 by 9 glass/metal pan.
I used glass, not sure if it would make much difference using metal.
Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Watch for the last 15 minutes of the hour, until golden brown.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes.

The funny thing about my Nanaw is, she never writes down the baking degree or time to bake because she has memorized it herself. Once, I tried writing down the way she makes an apple pie, but basically told me to add crisco to the flour for the crust until it felt right in my hand once I squeezed it. How cute is that?

Now, for that glaze...


This glaze isn't my grandmother's recipe. She had written down german chocolate icing, but no recipe.
I was wanting something a little less heavy.

Caramel glaze
 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1/4 cup heavy cream (half and half works too)

Add all ingredients into a small pot on the stove top; bring to boil until sugar dissolves.
3 minutes--until thickened.
Let cool for 10 minutes, away from heat.
Let cake cool for a few minutes once out of the stove. Drizzle glaze over top of cake, and voila!

Hope you all will try this and enjoy!
Much love to you,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment