Saturday, October 9, 2010

A 33 year old Pumpkin bread recipe.

Hello!


I made pumpkin bread yesterday and I was so excited to try it because it was my first time ever making any! The past couple of visits with my grandma (I call her Nanaw), who is sweet as come be, she's shared several recipes with me. A lot of them are desserts, and I would love to share them with you as I bake them. Since the Holiday season is right around the corner, I hope they will come in handy to you.


This recipe was given to me by my grandma. 
She had a newspaper clipping that read November 29, 1987.
How cute is it that they posted recipes in the newspaper by those who sent them in? Why isn't this a regular occurrence in the newspaper? I would love if they had a section devoted to recipes from those who'd like to share them.




Wish this was my picture, but it isn't! Just to be honest.
But this recipe is for two loaves. I ended up making one loaf, and muffins.


Set your oven to 350 degrees.


3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 15-16 oz can of pumpkin (2 cups)
3.5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking Soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2/3 cup water


1 cup raisins (if desired)
1 cup chopped nuts (if desired)


Mix sugar and oil. Add eggs and pumpkin; mix well. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture alternately with water.
Mix well after each addition. Pour into 2 well-greased and floured 9 by 5 pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours, until loaves test done (use a tooth pick or wooden bbq skewers, stick down the middle and pull out slowly, should not leave wet residue if done). Let stand 10 minutes. Removes from pans to cool. Makes two loaves.
If making one loaf, and a dozen muffins, fill your 9 by 5 pan a little over 3/4, making sure it has enough room to rise without spilling over. With the rest of your mixture, you should have enough for 12 muffins! 


Since I made one loaf, and the rest muffins with my mixture, I will tell you how to do so. 
I ended up taking my one loaf out of the oven with 8.5 minutes left on the timer. But, all ovens can differ, so make sure you're watching your bread at least the last half hour of baking. 
In making the muffins, I remember having them in the oven for at least 15-20 minutes, but I would advise checking on them at 15 minutes and there on until risen and plump. Check them with a toothpick as well to make sure your center isn't gooey. You will be baking along with the other loaf, so the temperature will still be 350 for the muffins as well. Use cupcake/muffin casings for an easier clean up, and for a good on the go breakfast or snack!


Hope you'll enjoy this recipe as much as I did! They turned out sooooo moist and yummy!


With Love,
Lindsay

9 comments:

  1. Yummmmm!!!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow a recipe this old has got to have some street cred. it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to make pumpkin bread all fall! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy. I love anything pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments, guys!
    I was attracted to all the spices involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah looks delicious!

    katie
    kaatieeee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stumbled across your blog...
    I LOVE anything with punkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog!!!!!!!!!!Really a great knowledge about different thing about interim.I refer my friend to this site for more information.They also impressed by this site.Banana Nut Bread

    ReplyDelete