Thursday, September 1, 2011

September brings lovely things.

I can't believe we're here in September. I've started it off with a not so lovely sinus cold, going through a box and a half of tissues, and almost blacking out in the bathroom this morning, crawling back to my room.
Sometimes, you have to learn the hard way. No matter how much I tell myself...'you need to exercise, boost your immune system, eat better, drink tons of water, remember to take that multivitamin you love to swallow so much!' I've never had any weight issues, but that definitely does not mean I am as healthy as I could be. I've always gotten sick easily, though I do believe it has improved over the last couple years. 
When I was two, I had Gillian Barre Syndrome, a virus that paralyzed me from the neck down for a few months. I believe this may have taken part in suppressing my immune system. Frightening to think about, but the Lord has given me a body that is free and able. It is now my responsibility to nourish my body, make healthy choices, and prepare my immune system so it can fight the good fight of keeping me well. 


1 corinthians 6:19-20 tells us...
"19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."


I believe this not only means to Glorify God with our body through not taking part in the physical sins such as adultery or other such things, but the Word tells us also to nourish it, be active, and take in the good and pure things He created such as water and fresh fruits and vegetables that supply us with proper nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
  



Isaiah 55:2 "Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food."



Currently I've been waiting for my state inspector to approve my massage therapy room. It has taken so long to get to this point. A lot of stress, money, prayer, sweat, smelly paint and chemicals, do-it-yourself labor, etc. I really want to be prepared for this new and exciting step in my life. This is my first business, and I've been trying my best to educate myself for the road ahead. I also need to prepare my body for what is ahead. And that means, no more getting sick. Though I am not an ultimate food junkie, I do have my moments when I want to pig out. 


My husband Matt has been really motivated, and it's really inspiring to watch him exercise almost everyday, doing P90X, which is a really intense workout series. Matt has lost almost 20 pounds so far and I am so proud of the limitations he gives himself through his diet, and the motivation he has had working out daily. And here I am, eating a juicy cheeseburger...or whatever I want. I'm definitely lame. 


Though I have pigged out here and there while Matt has been on his diet and routine exercise, I've seen the impact it's made on me and how I've found myself to be eating some of the same things. I've noticed a progressing difference that when Matt is eating well and exercising, he's in a better mood, motivated, self confident, and most of all, in the Word. I can't give healthy food and exercise full credit for my husbands motivation to being in the word, but I know it has made a difference.
We only have one body; one life here on Earth to nourish it well so we can serve God well and strong. Taking responsibility and the extra time and research to give ourselves the proper nutrition is worth it. Worth feeling more energized, more lively, more ready for the days to come. Above all else, we must nourish ourselves with His Word, the true and rushing waters, the plentiful feast of goodness, sweeter than honey and rich in good health.
September brings lovely things. Good health, good weather (hopefully), and goooood apple pie.


1 Corinthians 10:31 "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."





Love,
Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. hi lindsay!

    I can't wait to look into that book, there is something conflicting about faith and feminism (maybe not even feminism, but independence). I do love Proverbs 31. So much. You're thoughts mean so much to me.

    I also think I must glorify God with my body. I can do so much better.

    Thanks for your words,
    hannah margaret

    ReplyDelete