Friday, November 4, 2011

Thankfulness is a year round thing...

But, since Turkey day is on it's way, (while I'm listening to Christmas music..) I'm seeing the tradition of thinking of something you're thankful for each day until Thanksgiving Day on Facebook and it's reminded me to do the same. I believe with all the commotion and stress that has been going on in my life, I need to take time each day to verbally and mentally say "I am thankful for_______." 
God calls us to not just think, but go do! 



Romans 12:13-16

" Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are."

Since I am behind, I should list 4 things I'm thankful for.

Starting with this precious man in my life...

1. I am thankful for my husband Matthew.
I am so very thankful for the depth he has. He is deeply encouraging to me. He never lets me leave his side when I am angry, even if it is with him; he just won't have it until things are resolved and talked through. Even though at times this makes me frustrated, I am indeed very very thankful for this characteristic he carries. He gives me peace and understands me more thank anyone I know. He sees things I cannot and helps me to bring my darkness to light. 
He is a wonderful spiritual leader for our family.  I trust his judgement and the decisions he makes. He is humble and gentle. He leads me to the Lord, always.
Oh yeah...and he's funny too


2.  I am thankful for community. 
We can't go through life on our own. God doesn't expect us to. We must cling to the Lord foremost, but reach out to one another, through hospitality, prayer, and accountability. Jesus was surrounded by others throughout His life on Earth.
Beginning in Acts 2:42 and following, we community here...
"They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and good, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved."


3. I am thankful for a home.

Matt's family has been so gracious to us, by letting us live with them for over a year now while we are getting on our feet financially. I can feel progress and the Lord will provide a home of our own soon. I can feel it. We just need to be patient in waiting and be reminded we live in a big warm home, with food in our bellies, and a warm bed to sleep in at night. We live with a family who loves and cares for us, who understands our struggle and needs; a fun and loving family who we enjoy spending time with. And it's even better during the Holiday season, to be so close to people you love so much.

4. I am thankful for freedom in Christ.

I'm so thankful that the Lord gives us freedom in Him. Freedom from the things of this world that do not fulfill us nor complete us.

"For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters.
But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love."
Galatians 5:13 (NLT)

"We have escaped like a bird out of the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped."
Psalm 124:7 (NIV)

"Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God’s grace."
Romans 6:14 (NLT)


Until tomorrow with Love,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment